Positive School Climate Program
The RESET! program helps us provide a positive learning environment for ALL students. It involves teaching and practicing expected school behaviors and holding students accountable when they misbehave. A student who chooses not to follow an expected behavior, will be asked to REFOCUS. When a child is in REFOCUS, he or she is seated in a quiet area either in the classroom, another teacher's classroom, or the office. There the student thinks about the inappropriate behavior and writes a positive alternative on a REFOCUS form. The student is then positively welcomed back into the classroom by the teacher who has checked the REFOCUS form for student accuracy and
completeness. If your child has been to REFOCUS, it does not mean that he/she has been bad. REFOCUS is an opportunity to identify behaviors that may begin to affect the academic environment.
School Behavior Guidelines: RESET.PDF
The Goals of the RESET! program are:
- To provide a safe and orderly environment for learning.
- To help students cooperate with others.
- To help students manage one's self.
- To help students learn to respect rights and properly of others.
Some behaviors require immediate intervention and will result in a behavior referral:
- Physical dangerous
- Gross Insubordination
- Illegal Activity (e.g., threats, weapons, drugs, assault, etc.)
- non-compliance (not following directions even when direction is written)
- Gender, racial or other gross testing
Sharpstein discipline policy follows the direction given by the School Board in School District Policy 3200.
To promote a safe and violence-free school environment for your child, we address bullying behavior through staff intervention, safe schools curriculum, referrals to intervention specialist and administration.